z

 

 "He thought of pleasure in purely physical terms: taste, sexual excitement, touch, and so on." (Janaro and Altshuler, 2017)

I don't think that this is true. I believe that pleasure can be achieved in many ways, not just physically. Pleasure can come from many things besides taste, sexual gratification, etc. You can gain satisfaction from things that are not necessarily pleasurable. An example would be exercising. Exercising is usually very strenuous and tiring, which are not very pleasurable sensations on their own. However, the act of exercising leads to pleasure in other ways. It makes you healthier and look better, and it helps you mentally as well. Another example is raising kids. Raising children causes a lot of stress, takes up a lot of time, and costs a lot of money. Despite this, a certain kind of fulfillment is often gained from it.


(4 Tips to Keeping Your Gym Members Happy – Legend Fitness)

“Central to stoicism is the belief that true happiness is... how we respond to what happens.” (Janaro and Altshuler, 2017)


I agree with this to some extent. I believe that part of how happy we are does rely on our attitude towards what happens to us. If you're very optimistic and try to see the best in the worse of situations, then it's clear that you won't be as down as someone negative. I've met some people who have a lot going for them, but focus on the bad things in their life, and are often depressed about those things. I don't agree with this approach at all. I know people who, even when something bad happens to them or someone screws them over, try to look at the situation positively and learn a lesson from it. I believe that this attitude plays a big part in being happy, and that it is something we should all strive towards.



(Silver Lining 2 Free Stock Photo | FreeImages)


“Aristotle therefore defines happiness as the highest, or final, good.” (Janaro and Altshuler, 2017)


I agree with Aristotle on this. I believe that finding true happiness should be the greatest achievement in one's life. However, the real question is what exactly causes happiness. Is there one specific formula or ruleset that, when followed, is guaranteed to bring someone happiness or is the cause of happiness different for each and every person? I remember having to do a reading about this topic in high school, and I thought that the answer was obvious. I thought that it was clear that everyone is different, with different interests and dreams, and that the terms for achieving happiness is therefore different for everybody. But as I mature, I believe there is truth to both views. I think that, while everyone finds happiness in their own things, there are also ways to increase your chances for being happy. I think of making healthy lifestyle choices like a balanced diet and regular exercise. Or putting in the work to maintain healthy relationships with friends, family, and lovers.


(http://southasian.com/you-cant-have-a-healthy-relationship-without-these-8-characteristics/)
(This link might not be safe but it's where I got the image from and I like the image so...)



Sources


Janaro, R. P., & Altshuler, T. C. (2017).The Art of Being Human: the Humanities as a Technique for Living, 11th edition. Pearson Education, Inc.


Legend Fitness


Free Images


South Asian


Comments