Chapter 14: Life Affirmation

   

"It seems impossible that there should ever come a time when that self is nonexistent" (Janaro and Altshuler, 2017)

Thes question of what accompanies death and whether there even is an afterlife is controversial. Some people believe that we are reincarnated into other being after this life. Others believe in heaven and hell, and which one you end up in is based on a god's judgement of you during your life. Some believe that when you die, you become a ghost or a spirit, and watch over the world invisible until the end of time. Yet others don't believe in any of this. They believe that once our lives end, there is nothing more, and we simply disappear from exist. Our consciousness fades away, and that's all there is to it. I don't believe any one of these possibilities is certain, but I have acknowledged that one day, when I die, they may be right. I might just not exist anymore. Some people find this premise scary, as being alive is all we have at the end of the day. I don't, I think that it won't matter once it is over, because if I don't exist, then how will I be able to care that I don't? I don't know if I'm making sense, but I can't find a reason why not existing someday is necessarily a bad thing. After all, I didn't exist before I was born and I don't remember any reason to dislike it. Either way, I'm still young and in the position to make the most of the life I do have, which now that I think of it, may be part of why I don't find it all that concerning.

“Humanity has developed a variety of responses (to cope with death).” (Janaro and Altshuler, 2017)


There are many ways that people cope with death that this book discusses. Many people turn to religion and the belief of an afterlife, simply denying that our existence will ever come to an end. I think this can be a pretty good way to cope with death without accepting it fully, as it gives us hope and often a reason to be good people in this life. Other than this, we may simply avoid the topic and try not to think about it. I believe this can backfire, and once you get older death looms over you, and you can't help but think about it. If you haven't already come to terms with it, it could be very frightening. Others still may acknowledge it, but use humor to cope. I kind of like this approach, as it is better than simply ignoring the issue, but it also doesn't really solve it either. The last method that the book mentions is looking at is as simply a part of life. I prefer this method of the ones mentioned. Death is simply the end to life, its not some evil doing, it simply is. Everyone and everything who has ever lived and ever will live, will die. That's how it is, and I think accepting that is part of living.

“Several religions offer concepts of an afterlife” (Janaro and Altshuler, 2017)


As states, religion is probably the most popular way that people cope with death. But not all religious interpretations of the afterlife are the same, or even similar. Christians believe that, after death, depending on your sinfulness or righteousness, you will go to either heaven or hell for eternity. The good people go to heaven, a paradise, and sinners go to hell, which consists of eternal suffering. Muslims believe that, on the Last Day, all souls will be judged, and will go to either paradise or hell. They believe that common people will have to wait in their graves for the Last Day, while faithful victims of war will be sent directly to Allah. In Hinduism, there is life after death: reincarnation. However, the cycle of life and death will eventually end, and those with good karma will be allowed to stay in paradise before eventually becoming one with Brahman. And finally, in Judaism, the afterlife is the good deeds that you are remembered for after you die.

(The Value of Praying Parents: A Teen’s Perspective (thegospelcoalition.org))


Sources


Janaro, R. P., & Altshuler, T. C. (2017).The Art of Being Human: the Humanities as a Technique for Living, 11th edition. Pearson Education, Inc.


Blogspot


Pinterest


The Gospel Coalition


Comments